Cisco Application Virtual Switch (AVS) is a hypervisor-resident virtual network switch that is specifically designed for the Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI) architecture. Based on the highly successful Cisco Nexus 1000V virtual switch, AVS provides feature support for the ACI application policy model, full switching capabilities, and more advanced telemetry features.
Features and Capabilities
Compared to other hypervisor-based virtual switches, AVS provides cross-consistency in features, management, and control through Application Policy Infrastructure Controller (APIC), rather than through hypervisor-specific management stations. As a key component of the overall ACI framework, AVS allows for intelligent policy enforcement and optimal traffic steering for virtual applications.
Key features include:
- A purpose-built, virtual network edge for ACI fabric architecture
- Integration with the ACI management and orchestration platform to automate virtual network provisioning and application services deployments
- High performance and throughput
- Integrated visibility of both physical and virtual workloads and network paths
- Open APIs to extend the software-based control and orchestration of the virtual network fabric
The AVS offers:
- Single point of management and control for both physical and virtual workloads and infrastructure
- Optimal traffic steering to application services
- Seamless workload mobility
- Support for all leading hypervisors with a consistent operational model across implementations for simplified operations in heterogeneous data centers