The Cisco® Industrial Ethernet (IE) 2000U Switches are compact switches for the harsh, rugged environments often found in the energy and utility industries. IE 2000U switches support the communications needs of the utility- and customer-owned energy-delivery infrastructure across distributed generation, transmission, and distribution sectors. This infrastructure includes substation applications supporting electrical transmission and distribution, renewable generation, oil and gas, water, distributed generation, cogeneration, and trackside operations.
Cisco IE 2000U Series Switches are designed for DIN rail mounting, low port counts, and small sizes. They offer:
● Four, eight, or 16 Fast Ethernet ports (either SFP (Small Form-Factor Pluggable) or 100BaseT RJ45 downlinks depending on the model); fixed configurations with a compact form factor
● Two Gigabit Ethernet uplink ports (SFP, RJ45 or combo) and up to 2 additional FE uplinks depending on model
● IEC-62439-3: Parallel Redundancy Protocol support on 8 and 16 port models
● Dual-input DC power supply, alarm relays, DIN rail mount
● Swappable SD flash card required and included
● Mini-USB and traditional serial console connector
● Substation environmental compliance and certifications: IEC-61850-3 and IEEE 1613
● Conformal coating available on specific models
Primary IE 2000U Features and Benefits
● Rugged industrial design and substation compliance: IEC-61850-3 and IEEE 1613 for utility substation environments
● Advanced quality of service (QoS) capabilities to support mission-critical substation applications such as Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) and IEC 61850 Generic Object Oriented Substation Events (GOOSE) messaging
● Tools for easy deployment, management, and replacement
● Extensive instrumentation and remote diagnostic capabilities
● Comprehensive network security features based on open standards, such as 802.1x, Dynamic Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) Inspection, and Port Security
The IE 2000U is designed for network security, high availability, ease of use, and durability. Table 1 lists the business benefits of the IE 2000U.
Table 1. IE 2000U Primary Business Benefits
Rugged Design for Substation Compliance and Durability
● Compliant with IEEE 1613 and IEC-61850-3 substation standards for rugged design.
● Convection cooled, with no moving parts or fans for maximum reliability and reduced network outages.
● Advanced Cisco IOS® Software features such as 802.1x, Dynamic ARP Inspection, DHCP Snooping,
● Layer 2 — Layer 4 access control lists (ACLs), port security, protected port/private VLAN, user network interfaces/enhanced network interfaces (UNI/ENI) in default shutdown mode and configuration file security to prevent unauthorized network access and reduce operational costs of securing the network.
High Availability and Redundancy
● Advanced Cisco IOS Software features such as Resilient Ethernet Protocol (REP) and FlexLink provide fast reconvergence in ring and hub-and-spoke topologies, reducing network downtime and associated costs.
● Supports Parallel Redundancy Protocol (PRP) on 8 and 16 port models.
● Field-replaceable components such as power supplies and SFPs reduce redeployment time.
● Redundant DC power inputs.
Ease of Use
● Intuitive graphical user interface (GUI) in Cisco Configuration Professional simplifies configuration of switches and reduces training time and costs. Utility-focused enhancements have been added to further increase ease of use.
● SmartPort templates provide one-touch global and port-level macros to simplify switch deployments.
● Two Cisco IOS Software images are available so you can match the right feature set to your networking needs.
● An advanced Layer 2 switching feature set comes standard with the IE 2000U.
● An IP Services feature set with advanced Layer 3 functionality is available.
● Ongoing development of software capabilities leads to a longer product lifecycle, lowering the total cost of ownership.
The IE 2000U architecture provides energy-saving features:
● High-efficiency power supplies with dual connections for redundancy and high availability.
● No fans are used, which reduces overall power consumption.